Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ground Zero

Usually, I take the PATH to 33rd street when I am visiting the city. Today, I was on my way to a rally in the financial district, and took a the World Trade Center train, not knowing exactly where it was going. I arrived and ascended an escalator to the main street. I walked out on to a massive construction site filled with construction workers on their lunch break. I, unknowingly, arrived at ground zero.

In the midst of the bustling financial district, there is the empty space where the twin towers once stood. Now they are building a new sky scrapers and a memorial.

I hadn't expected it, but there is something about being there that just made me want to stop, think and pray, which I did. I can't believe it's been almost ten years since 9/11. Ten years since people on my side of the river watch two planes crash into the Twin Towers. It doesn't seem real that I live in this place.

That space is an ongoing reminder of that tragedy. It's why we fight for our freedoms now. Kind of ironic that I came across this on the day I attended a protest of Bill 371 which was passed to limit the free speech of pregnancy centers (read more on my other blog). All we can do is keep fighting for the truth and pray that mind will change one at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment