Tuesday, January 11, 2011

And the Journey Begins...

I left home yesterday afternoon. My early morning was spent saying goodbye to my family and then to Ruth and Casey. After an hour, I took a short detour to see Amy and was attacked by Katie's new, super cute but overly enthusiastic puppy! Then, I was off to Dayton to catch up and stay with Sarah for the night. It's been a blessing to spend time with these wonderful friends!

Now I am breaking for lunch at a McDonald's (thank goodness for free wifi!) on my route to DC to start my new job and new life. It seems as if I was just stressing over my future and what my life plans were. I ended in a completely opposite direction than what I predicted. I imaged that directly out of college I would work a stable office job with an excellent starting salary that Hillsdale's career planning office helped me get. That is what I expected to do and that is what I figured others expected me to do.

After graduation I realized lofty expectation was not going to be the reality. Slowly, I envisioned the unhappiness I would have working at an office with a dull job dealing with finances of an unknown company that I wouldn't care about. That was not what I wanted, so I started to flip through the potential possibilities that my future could hold. I could own a bakery, travel, be a cross country coach, participate in a mentor volunteer program, teach in Korea or take a mission trip. I'm young and tied down to nothing! My possibilities were endless.

Last summer, through Hillsdale, I applied for a position working for Students for Life of America. I had an interview but didn't get the job. I didn't exactly want the job either. It almost sounded like a sales position that I have just interviewed for and one that I wanted no part of. I'm not a sales woman. I'm scared of the phone and people.

But, a little over a month ago, I was asked to interview for the same position in a different area. I interviewed for practice, didn't want the job, but got a second interview. Somewhere between those two interviews, my heart changed and this Field-Agent position was something I wanted. It was exactly what I had been waiting for. A mixture of mission work, mentoring college students, bettering myself and fighting for the Pro-Life movement. It was just what I needed.

I'm on my way to DC for two weeks of training at the Students for Life of America headquarters. In the next two weeks I get to become an expert in Pro-Life facts and managing college organizations. I am attending the national conference and the March for Life. Then, I am moving to New Jersey to start a life of my own. I get to travel to colleges in both New York and New Jersey starting and working with SFL groups. Needless to say, this is a hugh change, but I'm excited!

A drastic in me change occurred since graduation. My values and my outlook on life changed. I thought, money would make me happy, when really it never can. I'm sad to be leaving my home an friends, but here is a chance for growth and a way to affect the world. I'm positive that I will return back to my family someday, but for now, I need to learn to live on my own... and what a great opportunity! Now, I am doing meaningful work and I can't wait to see what the future holds!

To increase your knowledge of the Pro-Life argument, check out these postcasts at Life Report. I'm listening to them the whole drive!



5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Erin, I'm so excited for you! We need to catch up when you're here so you can tell me about your training, etc. I'm trying to volunteer with my church's crisis pregnancy center, so I'd love to hear about your job! Let me know if you have time to get coffee sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Sorry about Gabbie....she likes people haha

    2. I am so so sooo happy for you. It is obvious that God has some big plans for you through this new and challenging experience. You're in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!

    Katie, Gabbie is great and I'm sure she loooves you!

    Anna, yes we should have coffee! I'll let you know when I figure out more of what I am doing! Maybe this weekend. I want to hear about what you are doing too!

    ReplyDelete